Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Week One RET program at BU


I have started a six week program at Boston University at the Biophotonics Center called the Research Experience for Teachers. It is a grant given by The National Science Foundation to get students into research on real life applications and bring the knowledge back to the classroom. I have been assigned to work with a graduate student on a project that uses lasers and ultra sound to study the behavior of cells. The first week basically consisted of a lot of training on subject matters that pertain to biophotonics. Photonics is basically the study of light and how it behaves. They use the properties of light to study disease and behavior of cells through lasers , sensors and computers that read this behavior. I feel like a student again learning information for the first time. I am excited because my knowledge in this area is very minimal. I have already met a lot of new and interesting people that I could learn a lot from. I have sat in a meeting and listened in on the other biomedical projects being performed at BU which was so amazing and I will talk about them in the classroom this september. I am also working with teachers from other schools and disciplines and have been continually collaborating to bring new ideas back into the classroom. I feel very lucky to be a participant in this wonderful program.

No comments:

Post a Comment